SUSTAINABILITYMaking the packaging industry a greener place.
Consumer demand for sustainable products has created significant challenges for the packaging industry. As a forward-thinking, global company, Ampac designs its processes and products with sustainability in mind. Ampac fully grasps the relationship between sustainability and existing global initiatives and has made tremendous investments to incorporate awareness of such causes within the overall company culture.
At the core of the Ampac approach to sustainability is innovation. Ampac is a company comprised of visionary thought leaders whose commitment to creativity and design has enabled Ampac to apply innovation and forward-thinking concepts to make gains in sustainability.
Greener product innovation
Our position as a retail, flexible, and security packaging company provides the unique opportunity to reduce not only our own carbon footprint, but also those of the individuals who purchase Ampac customers' products.
A few of the ways Ampac engages in green product innovation:
- Production of oxy-degradable and bio-degradable films for rollstock and bag applications
- Films that satisfy minimum thickness specifications, without sacrificing quality
- Use of recycled resins in packaging (when applicable)
- Bags with up to 100% recycled papers in various substrates and grades
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified systems and controls providing customers with sustainable paper alternatives
Improvement of air and water quality
Air and water pollution threaten all life on Earth. As a manufacturing company with production plants across the globe, the measures Ampac takes to improve air and water quality have the capacity to make a remarkable difference.
A few of the ways Ampac is reducing air and water pollution:
- Use of water-based printing inks, rather than solvent-based, in half of all facilities
- Printing presses are washed with soap and water, not harsh chemicals
- Efficient use of company shipping trucks when needed to consolidate loads and minimize air pollution
Reducing energy consumption
Ampac has made reducing energy consumption a high priority.
A few of the ways Ampac is reducing energy consumption:
- High-efficiency lighting fixtures
- High-efficiency motors for replacement applications
- Significant use of hydro-electric power sources
- Diversion of hot air exhaust back into the plant to heat the building during winter months
- Use of lighting motion sensors
From the reduction of packaging products to recycling wastes made during the process, Ampac recycles in the production plants and corporate offices.
A few of the ways Ampac recycles:
- Collection and recycling of waste paper, scrap metals, and scrap plastics
- Reuse of pallets whenever possible
- Laundering and reuse of shop towels, eliminating disposal of paper towels or rags
- Ampac No. 2 pouches can be recycled with plastic retail shopping bags with the *How2Recycle Label initiative
* “Have you noticed our new recycling labels? Our goal is to help consumers better understand what to do with packaging, and to encourage greater participation in recycling programs so that packaging gets a new life. The How2Recycle Label is an initiative of GreenBlue’s Sustainable Packaging Coalition. To find out more, provide input on the labels, and get information on how to check locally, please go to www.How2Recycle.info. Look for the How2Recycle Label on these products:”